Guide to Prepare for Hurricane Hilary - Southern California
Preparing for a Category 5 Hurricane: A Comprehensive Guide
When a Category 5 hurricane is on the horizon, time is of the essence. These powerful storms bring with them catastrophic winds, torrential rain, and life-threatening storm surges. Preparation is critical not only to protect your property but, more importantly, to ensure the safety of your family and yourself. Here's a concise guide to help you prepare:
1. Stay Informed:
- Monitor local news and weather channels. Trusted sources such as the National Hurricane Center (NHC) will provide regular updates and advisories.
- Download weather apps. These can give real-time notifications and tracking.
2. Evacuate if Advised:
- Listen to local authorities. If they recommend or mandate evacuation, do so promptly.
- Plan your route. Know multiple routes in case one is blocked.
- Inform someone. Let a family member or friend outside the danger zone know where you're headed.
3. Create an Emergency Kit: Stock up on essentials including:
- Water and non-perishable food for at least three days (one gallon of water per person per day).
- Medications and a first aid kit.
- Flashlights, extra batteries, and a battery-operated radio.
- Important documents (insurance, medical records, bank account numbers) in a waterproof container.
- Cash (as ATMs might be down).
- Chargers for your devices, possibly solar or battery-powered.
4. Secure Your Home:
- Install storm shutters or board up windows using plywood.
- Clear your yard of any potential flying debris such as lawn furniture, tools, and toys.
- Secure doors.
- Consider installing a sump pump if flooding is a concern.
5. Plan for Pets:
- Have a pet emergency kit with food, water, and medications.
- Ensure your pet has a secure carrier or leash.
- Know pet-friendly shelters or hotels on your evacuation route.
6. Protect Your Vehicle:
- Fill up the gas tank. Gas stations could run out or lose power.
- Store it in a garage or secure area if possible.
- Avoid parking under trees or in low-lying areas prone to flooding.
- Establish a communication plan with family. Everyone should know who to contact and where to meet if separated.
- Use text or social media to let others know you're safe. Phone lines might be jammed.
8. Be Cautious After the Storm:
- Stay indoors until local authorities declare it's safe.
- Avoid floodwaters. They may be contaminated or electrically charged.
- Inspect your home for damage. Document any issues for insurance claims.
- Be wary of fallen power lines and report them to the utility company.
A Category 5 hurricane is an extreme weather event, but with thorough preparation, you can significantly increase your chances of weathering the storm safely. Remember, while possessions can be replaced, lives cannot. Safety first!
One of the most common culprits behind home water damage is the seemingly innocuous roof leak. The damage may start small with a slight drip, but left unaddressed, it can lead to significant structural harm, not to mention a host of other issues such as mold growth and decreased energy efficiency.
A leaky roof is often the result of age, weather damage, or neglect. Ignoring these leaks may save you time and money in the short run, but it could lead to escalated costs and health hazards in the long term.
At SERVPRO of Alhambra, we specialize in tackling roof leaks and their associated water damage with promptness and proficiency.
Our first step is to identify the source of the leak, which can often be a challenge due to the path water can travel from the roof to where it finally drips. Yet, identifying and fixing the leak is only part of the solution.
Addressing the resultant water damage is equally important. Water can seep into walls, insulation, and your home's foundation, creating an environment conducive to mold growth and causing structural deterioration.
Our team employs advanced water extraction, drying, and dehumidification techniques to ensure complete dryness. We also handle mold remediation, treating affected areas to remove and prevent mold, ensuring the health and comfort of your living environment.
Finally, we believe in prevention and preparedness. Regular inspections and maintenance can go a long way in preventing roof leaks. We provide advice and preventive services, including regular roof check-ups, maintenance tips, and weather-proofing solutions.
Remember, a roof leak may start as a simple drip, but it has the potential to disrupt your life and home. With SERVPRO of Alhambra at your side, you have a reliable partner to address roof leaks and their consequential water damage, keeping your home dry, safe, and sound.
Emergency Services: Fast Response Time
SERVPRO of Alhambra's box truck to ensure quick response time
When it comes to water damage, every minute counts. The longer the water sits, the more extensive the damage can become. Mold can start growing within 24 to 48 hours, and structural damage to your home can occur. This makes quick response times crucial in any water emergency. At SERVPRO of Alhambra, we understand the urgency and are committed to providing rapid emergency services, around the clock.
Our team is on call 24/7, ready to respond as soon as disaster strikes. From the moment you contact us, we initiate a well-practiced, streamlined process to tackle your water emergency. We understand that time is of the essence, and we aim to reach your location promptly to minimize the potential damage and start the restoration process.
Upon arrival, we quickly assess the situation and start the water extraction and drying process. Our use of advanced equipment ensures efficient water removal and drying, effectively halting any further damage from occurring.
Our quick response does more than just limit the physical damage. It also reduces the emotional stress and potential financial burden of a water emergency. By acting fast, we can prevent minor issues from turning into major problems, saving you both time and money in the long run.
Moreover, our rapid response is not just limited to the start of the process. We commit to maintaining this sense of urgency throughout the entire restoration process, ensuring your property is returned to its preloss condition as swiftly as possible.
At SERVPRO of Alhambra, we believe in racing against water, not against the clock. Our commitment to quick response times for emergency services is unwavering, ensuring we are there when you need us the most, ready to make it "Like it never even happened."
June brings a unique weather pattern to certain parts of the country, known fondly as 'June Gloom.' This term refers to the overcast, cool conditions that can prevail, often coupled with unexpected showers or even steady rain. For homeowners, this climate can present a real challenge, particularly regarding potential water damage.
Despite the cool temperatures, the increased moisture in the air during this gloomy period can create the perfect conditions for mold and mildew growth. High humidity can penetrate your home, seeping into walls, carpets, and upholstery. If left untreated, this can result in not only unsightly spots and unpleasant odors but also significant structural damage.
Moreover, the surprise rain showers can put a strain on your home's drainage system, causing overflows and leaks that could lead to water damage.
At SERVPRO of Alhambra, we understand these risks and are here to help you navigate the June Gloom safely. It's crucial to maintain a dry, well-ventilated environment in your home to prevent excessive humidity. Regular inspections of your roofing and drainage systems can help identify potential problems before they escalate.
However, should the gloom get the better of your home, our team at SERVPRO of Alhambra is ready to spring into action. We offer a comprehensive suite of water damage restoration services, including state-of-the-art drying techniques and mold remediation. Our goal is to swiftly return your home to a healthy, comfortable state so that you can focus on enjoying the start of summer.
June Gloom might cast a literal and figurative cloud over the month, but with SERVPRO of Alhambra on your side, you can face the season with confidence.
Stay Safe After a Water Damage
This won't be your average, typical blog about what to do to help before SERVPRO arrives. Sometimes these things may seem unnecessary to say but in order to keep our clients safe here are a few things you should NOT do before SERVPRO of Alhambra shows up.
- If you can see that the ceiling is wet, do not turn on celling fans. If the ceiling looks to be sagging please keep out of the room.
- Do not use the TV of other household appliances especially in wet areas of the home.
- DO NOT use your own vacuum to remove water
- Keep all colored objects, books and rugs off of wet carpet and flooring
- Don't leave any wet fabrics or clothing in wet affected areas. Hang them up to dry and keep out of area.
In the event that your home suffers from a water damage call SERVPRO of Alhambra at (626)283-5875
Preventing Refrigerator and Ice Maker Water Damage
Keep Your Fridge Clean
Being one of the top restoration companies we have encountered countless refrigerator leaks that have caused massive damages not only to the kitchen, but to the rest of the home as well. This is why we should learn all about the ways to help prevent leaks and damages.
Tips to keep your home safe from water damages:
- From time to time try to remove dust and debris that build up behind the fridge.
- Try to use copper or stainless steel lines for any replacement necessary.
- Make sure to shut off your main water supply before leaving for any long trips.
- Remove hard water build up in the line.
Most times we just fill our fridge and maintain the inside of it from time to time. Let's do our best not to forget about the back and outside of our refrigerator to keep our homes in tiptop shape!
As always, in the case something happens out of your control don't hesitate to call us for help!
SERVPRO of Alhambra (626) 283-5875
Tornado's strike six different states in America in December. This was such a horrible experience for people in Arkansas, Illinois, Kentucky, Missouri, Mississippi and Tennessee. With this happening so recently we would like to provide you some ways to stay as safe as possible in the event another one occurs.
- MAKE A SAFETY PLAN
- Find a safe place to hide out during the storm: Stay away from being inside of your car, go to the lowest part of your home such as a basement or closet with no windows.
- Stay clear of windows - you want to fully avoids all windows at all costs, they will be the frist thing to break and bring in the tornado.
- Put on shoes and a helmet if possible - always have your shoes on already and if you have a helmet, put it on.
- Plan for your pets - you can put your pets in their carrier or on a leash and keep them with you at all times.
- Do not leave your home - if you are already home during a tornado do not try to leave and out run the tornado.
For more tornado safety visit: https://weather.com/safety/tornado/news/tornado-safety-tips
Protect Your Commercial Building
Protecting your business from potential damages should always be your number one priority. Stay one step ahead by making sure your business has all the correct tools and gear needed!
In the unfortunate event of a fire in your commercial building make sure to have on hand:
- Fire Extinguisher- Having this near by will limit the area of potential damages
- An Emergency Exit Plan- This will keep you and your employees safe in case the fire is too large to put out on your own. Make sure this is written out and given to all employees. Doing an emergency exit drill every few months would be beneficial as well.
- Documents Backed Up- Making sure all your important paper work and documents are backed up to the cloud or having extra copies in a separate location to ensure you don't lose important paperwork.
These are just a few tips to keep in mind in case of a fire. If you experience damages due to fire in your commercial building SERVPRO of Alhambra is always available 24 hours a day at (626) 283-5875
We Advocate For You
Have a water or fire damage in your home? Wondering how to handle the situation? Who do you call where to start? No need to stress!
Some of these damages may be covered by your insurance company. Once you have chosen SERVPRO of Alhambra as your designated company, we do everything in our power to work with your insurance to get everything covered.
We first preform an initial inspection of your property to determine how many rooms are effected and what materials were damaged.
After our inspection we gather all the information including photos, measurements, and findings then send it to your insurance company.
We continue to follow up on your claim while working with your claims adjuster to get all the scope of work to be approved.
Once all approvals are obtained we move forward with mitigation services to get you back into your home as soon as possible!
24 Hour Service Even on Christmas
It's almost the best time of the year again, Christmas! We all love this time of the year whether you like putting up your Christmas tree, putting lights all around your home, or even baking cookies and having hot chocolate by the fireplace. Even with is being the jolliest holiday of the year accidents can still happen. It is important to keep safety at the top of your mind when getting your home ready for this holiday.
“According to the National Fire Protection Association, electrical distribution or lighting equipment was involved in 44% of home Christmas tree fires. Though Christmas tree fires may not be common, they can be devastating to more than the house itself. They can destroy irreplaceable photos, mementos, and family heirlooms and even cost lives,” says Isaacson. “To help keep your holidays bright and your home and family safe, use common sense with candles and tree placement, and follow these important home decorating guidelines.”
For more info please visit www.SERVPRO.com