Rainy Season Preparation
As winter is approaching here in Southern California, the rainy season will also be on its way soon. It may be sunny most of the time, however, rain storms can cause a lot of damage to homes and property if steps are not taken ahead of time to prevent them. Here are some steps you can take before any storms hit:
- Clean and repair home gutters: Clogged ones can cause rainwater to back up and damage your roof and house.
- Inspect roof: Look for loose or damaged shingles as well as signs of leakage.
- Look inside at ceilings and walls: Any water damage could be an indication of roof leaks.
- Trim trees and bushes next to the house: Cut off branches that can be weighed down with water or strike houses.
- Make sure doors and windows are secure and that they open and close properly.
- Stockpile the sand bags: If you live in flood-prone areas, buy or collect sand bags to help divert water, debris or mud. Have them filled and ready to go before flooding happens.
- Check street drains near your home: If they are clogged, call your city’s public works department.
More tips and information: