Preparing for Winter
Winter in Southern California is basically nonexistent, however, it does get increasingly cold during the nighttime and morning and the weather can be unexpected during the winter. It can bring cold temperatures, wind, and rain which can cause damage to your home or property. So here are some steps you can take beforehand to prevent any damage against winter weather.
- Investing in weather stripping
- Weather stripping is easy to install and is a good way to keep warm air in the house and cold air outside.
- Check home for leaks or drafts
- Windows, doors, vents, plumbing areas, air conditioners, electrical and gas lines
- Clean gutters so that water can easily drain from the roof
- Blocked gutters can allow melting ice to seep into your roof and flood your home’s foundation
- You may also want to think about getting rid of branches that linger over your roof as well as that can break and damage the roof
- Stock up on basics in case of storms/floods
- Such as extra blankets, flashlights, candles in case of power outages
- Protect pipes from freezing
- Don’t turn heat down too much when out of the house
- Call plumber immediately if pipes freeze and water stops flowing from faucets