Halloween Fire Horrors
We all love a fun and festive Halloween with friends and family and the trick-or-treating children right? YES! That does also mean that we need to be extra careful with the cool decorations we put out and the costumes we make or buy. It might not seem like it but those pumpkins we love to carve and use to light up the doorway can have many dangers if you're not careful!
Here are some tips to keep your home safe this year:
- Swap out the old fashioned fire candle to light up your Jack-O-Lantern with battery powered candles or glow sticks
- If you do end up using fire candles please keep them away from any drought tolerant pants or fires.
- For the trick-or-treating children: teach them to stay away from lit pumpkins, do not kick them or move them in anyway
- Use a flashlight when out getting your sweet treats!
According to the National Fire Protecting Association (nfpa.org)
- From 2014-2018, an average of 770 home structure fires began with decorations per year.
- More than two of every five (44%) of these fires occurred because the decorations were too close to a heat source, such as a candle or hot equipment.
- More than one-third (36%) of these fires were started by candles.
- More than one-fifth (22%) of the decoration fires started in the kitchen; 16% began in the living room.
Source: NFPA Applied Research
For more tips on Halloween safety visit; https://www.nfpa.org/Public-Education/Fire-causes-and-risks/Seasonal-fire-causes/Halloween